Modi and Shah pick RSS member Ramnath Kovind for NDA presidential candidate
BJP has finally announced its presidential candidate as Bihar Governor Ramnath Kovind. BJP chief Amit Shah made the announcement after the party’s parliamentary board meeting on Monday.
“Dalit samaaj se sangharsh kar kar apne rajneetik career mein itne unche makaam tak pahunche hain (Being a Dalit, he has struggled and achieved such landmarks in his political career),” he said.
Is it a BJP’s disposition (appeasement) to undone the damage done by the recent atrocities on dalits.
While few consider it is masterstroke by the BJP which, as of late, come under attack for reports on atrocities against dalits in BJP-ruled states like Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. However, few consider it as a appeasement or tokenism. For sure, BJP has played a master stroke here as he represents a dalit community and this will help BJP to undone the damage done by the recent atrocities on dalits. And he also hails from from RSS backgroud. As being a dalit, though from RSS, no one can appose him. Let’s see how opposition will respond.
Let’s recall what BJP member says about appeasing politics.
BJP against appeasement of anyone, says Venkaiah as quoted
Will remove government if it continues with appeasement politics: BJP national general secretary as quoted
Response on Twitter :
Brief about Ramnath Kovind.
- A 71-year-old leader from Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur Dehat
- Will be the second dalit President of India after KR Narayanan, 1997-2002, if elected.
- Non-controversial BJP leader and has maintained a low profile.
- He was appointed as the Governor of Bihar in August 2015.
- A lawyer who has been a practitioner in the High Court and the Supreme Court of India
- Has served as a two-time Rajya Sabha MP.
- Appointed as the national spokesperson of BJP in 2011-12
- Was later in charge of the Bihar BJP during the 2015 Bihar Assembly election.
- Was president of the Anusuchit Morcha (the Scheduled Caste wing) of the party.
- Kovind is believed to be a close aide of Shah and has been a lifelong member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
Press Conference “covfefe” by Amit Shah :
“Prime Minister [Narendra Modi] has spoken to Congress president Sonia Gandhi and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.” Shah said.
The BJP is in touch with both National Democratic Alliance (NDA) parties and Opposition parties over Kovind’s candidature, said the BJP chief Shah.
BJP announced the candidature after they failed to build consensus within NDA :
Despite the delay, the BJP had failed to build a consensus within the NDA. BJP has decided on the name and informed us about the decision, says Sanjay Raut
“After the announcement, Amit Shahji called and informed that this name has been decided,” Shiv Sena spokesperson Sanjay Raut told the media.
Further Raut said, party will kept the card close till the meeting, chaired by Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray, supposed to happen by evening today.
Response by TRS and AIADMK party :
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao and Tamil Nadu’s governing party, the AIADMK, too has extended its support to the NDA candidate.
Response by BSP Chief Mayawati.
It would have been better if NDA had announced a non-political Dalit name, says Mayawati on Ram Nath Kovind’s nomination as reported
Response by Jignesh Mevani.